Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It's Oh So Quiet...shhh...

If you were to ask me if I had a label throughout my life, a word or phrase most often used to describe me, it would be quiet. On all my school reports and employment references, the most common term was "Lynette is a quiet acheiver". You wouldn't think that could be so bad, right? Well, I guess it's not really, especially in school. The teachers thought I was "delightful" to teach and I got decent grades.

Coming into the workforce, it became a bit of a barrier. Employers saw it as a negative so I always had to prove myself that even though I'm not the loud mouth chatterbox in the office, I can do my job just as well, if not better, than others.

Out of the workforce and into parenting life, it still has an effect. I start to talk and people don't hear me or when I do get a chance to get a word in amongst my talkative friends, I get interrupted too often. Even online, I'm quiet. I post in forums or on Facebook and it often feels that my comments are not even seen. Feeling ignored is something I feel often.

And that's mostly my fault. There is nothing wrong with being quiet (is there?), I just need to step forward and add some assertiveness and confidence into the mix I think. Stand up for me, put myself out there and not worry about what other people think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...